Thursday, June 4, 2009

Simple Pleasures

Summer hasn’t arrived yet but already it’s slipping away. We must enjoy these warm moments before they are gone! With a plethora of “to-dos” around my house, I sometimes have to make a devoted effort to stop and experience this great season.

Spring often awakens my “nesting” mood, my need to try out fresh ideas for my home and garden. I have enjoyed planning and planting new annuals around the house this year, forcing myself to toss out the tried and true pink theme and explore some new possibilities. That’s easier to do with an inexpensive crate of flowers! But some tried and trues are hard to live without, like the beauty that accompanies our thriving peony bush in early spring! So I took some of nature’s blessings and brought them indoors to create small flower vignettes. I nestled the oversized flowers in simple bud vases and placed them around the house. I love the romantic look that can be created with these flowers and the added vintage charm that comes from placing them next to a large apothecary jar, French script scrolls, and an aged doily. Vases with varied heights, colors, and textures create an interesting appeal as well. Be sure to stop and enjoy the simple pleasures of the season!

No comments: