Tuesday, September 23, 2008

French Scrolls

It is officially fall but I cant dive into all of Autumn's splendors until I satisfy this French mood Ive been in lately. I'll have to find a way to combine the two I guess. Tonight's project is a simple one, and pretty inexpensive too. Gotta love that right?

I received an apothecary jar for Christmas last year and I've had a really hard time knowing what to put in it because it is so large. Until I got smacked with a French inspiration stick, then I thought of something! I wanted to fill it with scrolls of French paper.

I began by opening a new Word document. I entered a bunch of text (it can be anything, really), highlighted the text, right clicked, selected Translate, then translated the English text to French text. Then, I played around with different font types to achieve the look I was going for. In this case, I wanted several different styles so I used the same text but printed them out several times in various fonts. I used fine business paper but any type of paper will probably do, it just depends on the look you're going for.Next, I distressed my the papers' edges using scissors and ink.Once I had all of my pages distressed to my liking, I rolled them up, some long ways and some short ways, and tied them with ribbon, jute, and/or lace.So simple right?! Now all I have to do is place them into my apothecary jar. But I'm faced with a dilemma, do I add a little moss at the bottom...?or......not?I'm pleased with how the scrolls turned out and was surprised at just how quick and easy they were to create. Instead of using French script, try sheet music, old ledger papers, or pages out of old novels. Specialty papers such as these would look great in a long basket or any other container that would allow you to showcase the delicate look of aged pages. Give it a try!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very clever... I might have to give it a try! Cute,

Anonymous said...

Yes, leave the moss in. Or you could put acorns or leaves for a fall theme. Maybe??