Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Tastes of Fall

There are so many wonderful things about Fall, don't you agree? You'll notice over there to the right that I have a new poll out for you to participate in, just for fun. There are so many great things to experience this time of year, what's your favorite?

One of my favorites is the foooood! Mmmm, I love eating, cooking, and enjoying the aromas that come from autumnal dishes on a cool day. It isn't that cool around here right now (we're still in the 80's but not for long) but I just couldn't wait to simmer up some soup. Broccoli Cheddar Soup that is. This was my first attempt at making soup from scratch and I am quite proud of myself. When it comes to cooking, I seldom use recipes. I rely on them for baking (too much science involved!)but not so much for regular cooking other than to get an idea or two. So I dont have a recipe to give you for this soup but I can tell you what's in it...Im just not sure of the exact amounts. Beware; this is NOT a health conscience dish. If you're feeling a bit risky, toss the following ingredients in a large pot and cook up some soup:

Milk
1 stick of butter
1 can chicken broth
Heavy whipping cream (maybe a small carton?)
Onion
1 bag frozen chopped broccoli
1 small stick Velveeta cheese
Shredded cheese (2 cups?)
Ground pepper
Flour to thicken (I actually used both flour and corn starch)

This was very easy and relatively quick to make. The butter, chicken broth, and whipping cream were definitely the stars of this show. Serve it up with some crusty French bread and you're all set. Perfect for those crisp fall days!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, do you always serve your meals this way?!? Such a nice set up, placemats and everthing! I'm lucky to even get silverware on the table! :) I LOVE soups too! I made three different kinds last week. I think I was having a craving!?

Cara

Anonymous said...

Awww yes, I sort of remember a time when I used those things....placemats, etc. Good china ....hmmmmm, wonder if I dare to try again.... But the soup sure looks good.!