Monday, August 4, 2008

Tattered Rose

I have shared a couple of inspiration snippets with you over the past few weeks, and though I am not ready to reveal the completed project, I am going to share a small piece of what I have been working on.

I have had these pink silk roses for years. Literally, years. A Joann Fabrics was going out of business and I thought these roses were so lifelike (and cheap!!) that I had to grab 'em. I have used a few here and there but I still have a couple left.
Though they are nice in their current state, they were just too...perfect for what I'm needing. So, I grabbed my Distress Ink pad by Jim Holtz in the color tattered rose. Tattered rose, perfect! I was going for a shabby look so I inked up the rose petals as much as I could until I was satisfied with the look. I find myself distressing just about everything I create in one form or another. I either ink the edges or scuff them up with scissors...or both! I love the shabby look and think that distressing adds a nice softness with a worn in feel. Here's the finished tattered rose beside an original: The distressed look helps the rose to blend in better with the overall project scheme. At least I'm hoping that it will!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

these are quite beautiful and look very vintage from the distressing. I can't wait to see what you're creating with them :)